Look around at any runway or red carpet and you’ll see your favorite models and celebrities sporting medium-length layered haircuts. With so many different ways to pull off the trendy look, there’s a reason they’re so popular!
Whether you prefer to wear your hair straight with highlights or wavy with choppy ends, you’re guaranteed to step out of a salon with a flattering new hairstyle.
1. Side-Parted Medium Layered Hairstyle. This mid-length layered hair cut gets a warm glow from the balayage highlights and volume from a heavy side part and feathered layers.
2. Choppy Brunette Hair. For thin hair, a style with choppy messy waves can do wonders – it creates the illusion of thick hair.
3. Feathered Neck-Length Hair. Turn heads at a holiday party with a mid-length golden balayage hairstyle. Complete with a pair of dangly earrings for extra dazzle.
4. Medium-Length Flip Up. Women with straight hair will love this highlighted shoulder-length layered haircut. Styled with flipped up ends, it creates a red carpet-worthy downdo.
5. Wavy Shag with Choppy Ends. Styles that use balayage hair color solutions are great for wavy hair. This hair boasts tons of texture with depth!
6. Swoopy Face-Framing Layers. For women who want to keep their brunette hair color, a beautiful touch of balayage will make a medium layered haircut stand out.
7. Layered Ends and Face-Framing Feathers. A great women’s cut flattering for round and oval faces, this medium-length layered hairstyle uses a caramel blonde balayage to brighten up the pale complexion.
8. Disconnected Shaggy Lob. Looking for a hairstyle with lots of texture? A cute messy blonde haircut like this one mixes straight locks with wavy pieces for the modern texture everyone is after nowadays.
9. Medium Cut with Flipped Up Edges. Take a trip back in time with a layered hairstyle that tries on flipped ends for a cute throwback.
10. Two-Tier Cut with Angled Layers. This simple straight haircut for thin hair gets a glow-up from added piece-y layers.
11. Mid-Length Layered Hair with Contouring. If medium downdos are your thing, a few well-placed highlights can take a simple haircut with layers from blah to beautiful.
12. Blonde Medium Layered Bob. How chic is this platinum blonde medium bob!? Keep the ends choppy and start layering high for side bangs.
13. Thick U-Cut with Layers. A flawless shape and lovely color create a gorgeous mane. Add some texture with layers to perfect the look.
14. Dynamic Layered Lob. Young and older women will equally appreciate this layered bob that uses disconnected feathered styling to bring out the dimensional swoopy layers.
15. Below the Shoulders Cut with Curly Ends. The toasted blonde balayage with darker roots really shows off the lush curls on this voluminous medium cut.
16. Razored Shag with Flyaways. The soft caramel highlights warm up the dark messy, textured hairstyle for thick hair.
17. Medium Layered Haircut with Shadow Roots. A medium rounded shape aptly gathers the fluffy texture of the choppy medium blonde haircut.
18. Highlighted Wavy Messy Hairstyle. Make your hair pop with a medium messy cut featuring plenty of wispy wavy texture!
19. Fun Flared Haircut. A rich color always helps a new style, especially when it comes to such an amazing layered look.
20. Medium Brunette Layers. Modern beautiful medium layered hairstyles look flattering in the front and back! The steps of layers create a lovely wave-like effect.
21. Voluminous Inverted Lob. If a flirty, feminine haircut is more your thing, a medium-length bob with fine choppy layers is for you.
22. Brown Long Bob. Styling this layered long bob is a breeze and putting it up in a pony will also look super cute.
23. Medium Shaggy Hair with a Side Part. Shaggy waves don’t need any special additions, but some soft balayage highlights can flatter them immensely.
24. Wavy Golden Locks. This medium cut for wavy hair looks effortless and sun-kissed given a golden blonde color treatment.
25. Straight Layered Shoulder-Length Hair. Here’s a low maintenance hairstyle to make your busy mornings easier. The feathered layering is very appealing to the eye.
26. Dimensional Wavy Inverted Lob. A wavy cut for thin hair gets an upgrade with a couple of beautiful blonde streaks.
27. Straight and Sophisticated Style. This shoulder-length layered style is sophisticated and good for a professional, polished look.
28. Brunette Piece-y Wavy Hair. A longer style for women with thick or medium textured hair, this one is perfect for winter and keeping those ears warm!
29. Adorable Strawberry Blonde Look. If simple yet gorgeous hair is what you’re looking for, here’s a straight layered cut with a center part.
30. High Contrast Golden Feathers. For women with fine hair, try the eye-catching short to medium style with highlighted feathered layers.
31. Choppy Mid-Length Layered Hair. This cinnamon brown choppy cut is effortlessly edgy. With a cut like this, you’ll always feel stunning.
32. Wispy Piece-y Shag Hairstyle. The uneven choppy layers make this blonde bombshell really stand out.
33. Neck-Length Swoopy Style. We’re pretty sure Drew Barrymore once rocked this cute medium-length layered haircut.
34. Wispy Layers. For thin hair, wispy layering adds to the elegance of the medium hairstyle.
35. Comb Over with Flipped Up Layers. The piece-y layers build extra height and enhance the texture of this breathtaking look.
36. Medium Cut with Elongated Layers. Look like hot Barbie with this asymmetrical wavy layered lob.
37. Brunette Hairstyle with Bangs. When swoopy layers of your medium cut blend seamlessly with bangs, you get a harmonious look from every angle.
38. Voluminous Medium-Length Tousled Hair. With layered bangs swept to the side, the golden textured haircut looks as beautiful as ever.
39. Straight Cut with Flipped Up Ends. Love wearing your hair free-flowing? With a layered cut like this, you’ll definitely look your best!
40. Thick Brunette Hair. For thick hair, the right style features curtain bangs and layers with textured ends.
41. Platinum Medium-Length Layers. Freehand painting is a popular trend and now you see why – this platinum layered cut looks fantastic!
42. Messy Choppy Style. Straight hair in a medium length can look even better with choppy layers.
43. Voluminous Face-Framing Layers. The medium cut with swoopy front layers says chic and sophisticated.
44. Textured Back and Forth Layers. The straight icy blonde layers of the medium-length cut are edgy and cool. A quick tousle during the day will refresh your look.
45. Mid-Back Cut for Thick Hair. When flat ironing your long straight layered hair, use a heat protectant to maintain your strands strong and flexible.
46. Wavy Layers with Darker Roots. Another choppy wavy layered hairstyle to make you feel flirty and fierce! This look could be easily dressed up for a wedding or other formal event.
47. Feathered Layers for Thin Hair. A side part gives the layered cut for thin hair extra volume and movement. When heading out for a date night, clip a side piece back or style some loose tousled waves.
48. Curly Layers. For curly hair, layers help to control unruly texture. The cut looks tousled, but the layers are voluminous and well-organized.
49. Thick Medium Hair with Flared Ends. The side bangs give an otherwise sophisticated medium cut a soft touch. Tame flyaways with a flat iron or hairspray.
50. Flirty Layers. Flirty, feminine, and fierce is what you’ll be feeling when wearing this beautiful layered haircut. With all the movement and texture, you’ll want to run your hands through it all day!
Don’t be afraid to experiment with these medium-length layered haircuts. They’re all versatile which means they work for every face shape and any hair type. Work with your stylist to customize the cut you like and stay beautiful!
Featured image via @ryennesnow.hair
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, layers are a great choice for medium hair. Layers can help give your hair movement, visual interest and definition without taking away too much length.
The best layer cut for you ultimately depends on your hair texture and facial features. For curly hair, a shag cut may be the best style to try. If have straight hair, a haircut with face-framing layers and curtain bangs would be a hot choice this season.
Yes, it is! When cut right, layers help hair fall naturally into a nice shape. If you want to wear impressive 70s blowout with layers, be ready to use products and style with a round brush though.
Yes, it is definitely advisable! Layering allows to remove the bulk and make thick hair much more low maintenance. If you have really thick hair and prefer long invisible layers, consider getting a hidden undercut to achieve the same effect.
Choppy textured layers can add bounce to thin hair, making it look fuller. Still, be careful with layering very thin hair, as the longest layers may end up looking like damaged hair ends. Be sure to consult with your hairstylist when choosing your next haircut.